Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas)
Nitrous Oxide, invented by a dentist, of course, is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe utilizing a nasal mask.
NitrousOxide has been the the primary means of sedation both in the dental office and hospital operating room for over 100 years. Nitrous oxide is safe, the patient receives 50-70% nitrous oxide with no less than 30% oxygen.
The patient is able to breathe on their own and remain in control of all bodily functions.
The patient may experience mild amnesia and may fall asleep, not remembering all of what happened during their appointment.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no lasting side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is extremely effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
In combination with local anesthesia nitrous oxide is a very pleasant way for the anxious patient to finally relax in the dental chair. A consultation may need to be required with the patient’s physician if certain medical contraindications exist.
Dr Sokol has worked extensively with medical and dental anesthesiologists both in the hospital operating roomand the office. At any given time we can arrange for an anesthesiologist to be on premises and provide IV sedation for the extremely anxious patient . In order to accomplish this in a fully relaxed atmosphere, the office is closed and made fully private for the length of the patient’s procedure.